by D. Melhoff
on Tour April 1 – May 31, 2017
A remote summer camp becomes a lurid crime scene when the bodies of two teenagers are found in a bloody, real-life rendering of a classic Grimm’s fairy tale. Trapped in the wilderness, the remaining counsellors must follow a trail of dark children’s fables in order to outwit a psychopath and save the dwindling survivors before falling prey to their own gruesome endings.
Drawing on the grisly, uncensored details of history’s most famous fairy tales, Grimm Woods is a heart-pounding thriller about a deranged killer who uses traditional children’s stories as tropes in elaborate murders. Set against the backdrop of modern-day Michigan, it’s a journey through the mind of a dangerous zealot and a shocking glimpse into the bedtime stories you thought you knew.
Book Formats: mobi, Print (US & Canada)
Hosting Options: Review, Interview, Showcase
Giveaway: PICT Rafflecopter & Individual Host Giveaways
More: According to the author Grimm Woods does not include: Excessive Strong Language, Explicit Sexual Scenes, Rape, or other trigger situations. There is some Graphic Violence. PICT staff has not read this book, however and cannot give additional information.
Read an excerpt:
July 7th, 5:44 a.m.
One hacksaw. One hammer, six boxes of nails. Twelve Mason jars, four hunting knives, two pairs of handcuffs. Fifteen gallons of gasoline divided evenly among three dented jerry cans.
A work glove hovered over the table where the objects were laid out side by side and began ticking the air as though marking off an invisible checklist. The chamber reeked of mildew, and the walls had no windows or electrical sockets—no lamps, no wires, no switch covers. A single red candle provided the only light, its crimson wax dripping down its shaft like blood.
The hand picked up a piece of paper from the table and slipped it into a blank envelope. Below, a beetle scuttled across the floorboards. The insect—its gangly antennae tuned to some foul frequency in the gloom—raced past the sole of a giant boot just as a drop of liquid fell through the air and struck it dead center, engulfing its body in a hot, gelatinous blob that filled its orifices and burned it from the inside out. Another droplet tumbled from the candle, plopping onto the envelope this time, and then a brass stamp came down and pressed the wax into a hardened seal.
Drawing in heavier, raspier breaths, the figure held the envelope up to a corkboard that was bolted to the wall. More than a dozen pictures of young men and women were tacked to the panel by their throats and foreheads, smiling in the shadows.
The figure pinned the envelope to the board and stepped back to take in the room again.
The table and the switchblade.
The book of matches.
The iron rods, the hatchet, the .22 Smith & Wesson.
The smiling faces.
Now, the figure mused, watching the photographs flicker in the bloodred light. Who’s the nicest, Who’s the worst, who wants to hear a story first?
D. Melhoff was born in a prairie ghost town that few people have heard of and even fewer have visited. While most of his stories are for adults, he also enjoys terrifying younger audiences from time to time, as seen in his series of twisted picture books for children. He credits King, Poe, Hitchcock, Harris, Stoker, and his second-grade school teacher, Mrs. Lake, for turning him to horror.
Catch Up with Mr. Melhoff on Twitter 🔗, & Facebook 🔗.
1. 4/01 Interview @ BooksChatter – GIVEAWAY
2. 4/02 Review @ Book Reviews From an Avid Reader
3. 4/03 Interview @ Mythical Books
4. 4/04 Review @ Must Read Faster
5. 4/05 Review, Interview & Showcase @ CMash Reads
7. 4/07 Showcse @ Mommabears Book Blog
8. 4/08 Showcase @ The Way I See It
9. 4/10 Review @ The Phantom Paragrapher
10. 4/10 Showcase @ fundinmental
11. 4/11 Interview @ Writers and Authors
12. 4/13 Review @ Hott Books
13. 4/14 Showcase @ BookBum
14. 4/17 Review @ I am not a bookworm!
15. 4/24 Showcase @ The Pulp and Mystery Shelf
16. 4/27 Review @ Wall-to-wall books – GIVEAWAY
17. 4/30 Showcase @ Writers and Authors
18. 5/01 Review @ The Book Divas Reads
19. 5/02 Review @ Bookishly me
20. 5/03 Review @ A Dream Within A Dream
21. 5/10 Showcase @ Suspense Magazine
22. 5/18 Review @ Hezzi-Ds Books and Cooks
23. 5/19 Review @ Lets Talk About Books
24. 5/22 Review @ Beas Book Nook
25. 5/24 Review @ Celticladys Reviews
27. 5/29 Review @ A Room Wihtout Books is Empty
28. 5/30 Review @ Curling Up by the Fire
29. 5/31 Review @ Booklove
To Sign up either complete the form below or email Wendy at email@example.com. Thank you for your interest in this tour.